Five Reasons Analytics Professionals Must Not Miss Informatica World 2016
I just read a great new McKinsey report titled, “The Need to Lead in Data and Analytics“.This is a must-read for anybody who is responsible for delivering analytics or the data to drive those insights. Long story short: Everybody wants to compete on analytics but, only 86% of those surveyed said that at best they were only somewhat effective in managing their data.
That’s worth reading twice. All the best analytics platforms, visualization tools, etc., in the world will not make you an industry leader if you do not have a distinct advantage in data first.
The Good News: There is so much great information and best practices about data management for analytics at this year’s Informatica World that it is almost too much to take in. It will pay to plan ahead depending on your specific interests.
Let me give you a very brief overview:
1. Must-See Keynote Sessions for Analytics:
These are going to be phenomenal! With the explosion of data volume, complexity and velocity is has never been more challenging to meet the needs of the business. Here are experts to tell you how to do it.
- Mark Beyer of Gartner, Data Management in a Bi-modal World – Data Integration & Big Data (DI&BD) track keynote
- Philip Russom of TDWI, Evolving and Modernizing BI/Analytics Data Architectures (DI &BD track)
- Jim Davis, Informatica CMO, Data as a Strategic Asset
- Nicholas Millman, Accenture, Becoming a Data-Driven, Insight Powered Enterprise
2. Breakouts: Data Warehouse Modernization
70% of those surveyed by ComputerWorld report that they plan to spend more on DW/BI. Check out the Data Integration (DI&BD) track to hear best practices for Data Warehouse modernization from leading customers such as: Fannie Mae, Humana, Republic Services, Cleveland Clinic, Manheim, Indian Oil, Jones Lang Lasalle, and Endurance Services.
3. Breakouts: Big Data Analytics
First, check out the Big Data Ready Summit (Monday 1:00-4:00) that is back by popular demand this year. It is focused on helping you to deliver business value from your data projects.
Also, check out the big data analytics breakouts in the DI&BD track with customers such as, Verizon, Belgacom International Carrier Services (BICS), Transamerica, Cognizant, and Siemens PLM Software.
4. Breakouts: Cloud & Hybrid Analytics
There has been a strong increase in cloud and hybrid growth in the past year. Check out the Cloud Innovation Summit Monday 9:00 to 3:30pm. This will cover analytics-related topics such as cloud analytics with Tableau, architecting for Amazon Web Services (AWS), and what’s coming next for Informatica Cloud.
Also, the breakout sessions in the Cloud track will includes analytics discussions about using PowerCenter with Informatica Cloud & public cloud offerings such as Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS. There will also be analytics presentations from Red Hat, Life Time Fitness, and Deloitte.
5. Marketing Analytics
Gartner predicts that in 2016, the Marketing function will spend more on technology than IT. That is clearly a reflection on the importance of analytics to marketing and how all of marketing is becoming data-powered. If marketing analytics is your organization’s priority, you need to hear these two sessions:
- Franz Aman of Informatica will talk about his implementation of a marketing data lake for a single customer view across applications, improved marketing attribution, and increased revenue generation (DI&BD 117). This is a great session by somebody “who has been there.”
- Vishal Bamba, Vice President of Architecture and Innovation at Transamerica will present, “Mapping the Customer Journey with a Marketing Data Lake.” (DI&BD 123)
And, as always you will be able to talk to our experts in the Hands On Labs (HOL) and Round Tables (RT). Here is an expert tip: Book your HOL and RT sessions early. They tend to sell out fast leaving people disappointed. Also, if you are shut out, come by and try to get into the sessions on a “standby” basis. Sometimes, people are so busy at Informatica World, that there are last-minute slots.
I am really looking forward to this year’s Informatica World and hope to see you there!