Speed: The #1 IT Challenge
Speed is the top challenge facing IT today, and it’s reaching crisis proportions at many organizations. Specifically, IT needs to deliver business value at the speed that the business requires.
The challenge does not end there; This has to be accomplished without compromising cost or quality. Many people have argued that you only get two out of three on the Speed/Cost/Quality triangle, but I believe that achieving this is the central challenge facing Enterprise Architects today. Many people I talk to are looking at agile technologies, and in particular Agile Data Integration.
There have been a lot of articles written about the challenges, but it’s not all doom and gloom. Here is something you can do right now to dramatically increase the speed of your project delivery while improving cost and quality at the same time: Take a fresh look you Agile Data Integration environment and specifically at Data Virtualization. Data Virtualization offers the opportunity to simplify and speed up the data part of enterprise projects. And this is the place where more and more projects are spending 40% and more of their time. For more information and an industry perspective you can download the latest Forrester Wave report for Data Virtualization Q1 2015.
Here is a quick example of how you can use Data Virtualization technology for rapid prototyping to speed up business value delivery:
- Use data virtualization technology to present a common view of your data to your business-IT project teams.
- IT and business can collaborate in realtime to access and manage data from a wide variety of very large data sources – eliminating the long, slow cycles of passing specifications back and forth between business and IT.
- Your teams can discover, profile, and manage data using a single virtual interface that hides the complexity of the underlying data.
- By working with a virtualization layer, you are assured that your teams are using the right data and data that can by verified by linking it to a Business Glossary with clear terms, definitions, owners, and business context to reduce the chance of misunderstandings and errors.
- Leading offerings in this space include data quality and data masking tools in the interface, ensuring that you improve data quality in the process.
- Data virtualization means that your teams can be delivering in days rather than months and faster delivery means lower cost.
There has been a lot of interest in agile development, especially as it relates to data projects. Data Virtualization is a key tool to accelerate your team in this direction.
Informatica has a leading position in the Forrester report due to the productivity of the Agile Data Integration environment but also because of the integration with the rest of the Informatica platform. From an architect’s point of view it is critical to start standardizing on an enterprise data management platform. Continuing data and data tool fragmentation will only slow down future project delivery. The best way to deal with the growing complexity of both data and tools is to drive standardization within your organizations.