Three Things Every Architect Should Do for 2015
The start of the year is a great time to refresh and take a new look at your capabilities, goals, and plans for your future-state architecture. That being said, you have to take into consideration that the most scarce resource in your architecture is probably your own personal time.
Looking forward, here are three things that I would recommend that every architect do. I realize that all three of these relate to data, but as I have said in the eBook, Think “Data First” to Drive Business Value, we believe that data is the key bottleneck in your enterprise architecture in terms of slowing the delivery of business initiatives in support of your organization’s business strategy.
So, here are the recommendations. None of these will cost you anything if you are a current Informatica PowerCenter customer. And #2 and #3 are free regardless. It is only a matter of your time:
1. Take a look at the current Informatica Cloud offering and in particular the templating capabilities.
Informatica Cloud is probably much more capable than you think. The standard templating functionality supports very complex use cases and does it all from a very easy to use, no-coding, user interface. It comes with a strong library of integration stubs that can be dragged & dropped into Microsoft Viseo to create complex integrations. Once the flow is designed in Viseo, it can be easily imported into Informatica Cloud and from there users have a Wizard-driven UI to do the final customization for sources, targets, mappings, transformations, filters, etc. It is all very powerful and easy to use.
- YouTube: Building Custom templates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHmFkxov6bs
- 30 day free Informatica Cloud trial. http://more.informatica.com/en/cloud_trial/org?offer=30day-ICwebPage
Why This Matters to Architects
- You will see how easy it is for new groups to get going with fairly complex integrations.
- This is a great tool for departmental or new user use, and it will be completely compatible with the rest of your Informatica architecture – not another technology silo for you to manage.
- Any mapping created for Informatica on-premise can also run on the cloud version.
2. Download Informatica Rev and understand what it can do for your analysts and “data wranglers.”
Your data analysts are spending 80% of their time managing their data and only 20% on the actual analysis they are trying to provide. Informatica Rev is a great way to prepare your data before use in analytics tools such as Qlik, Tableau, and others.
With Informatica Rev, people who are not data experts can access, mashup, prototype and cleanse their data all in a User Interface that looks like a spreadsheet and requires no previous experience in data tools.
- For a free Informatica Rev download https://rev.informatica.com/
- Informatica Rev (Project Springbok) demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F_58bHKDDs
Why This Matters for Architects
- Your data analysts are going to use analytics tools with or without the help of IT. This enables you to help them while ensuring that they are managing their data well and optimizing their productivity.
- This tool will also enable them to share their “data recipes” and for IT to be involved in how they access and use the organization’s data.
3. Look at the new features in PowerCenter 9.6. First, upgrade to 9.6 if you haven’t already, and particularly take a good look at these new capabilities that are bundled in every version. Many people we talk to have 9.6 but don’t realize the power of what they already own.
- Profiling: Discover and analyze your data quickly. Find relationships and data issues.
- Data Services: This presents any JDBC or ODBC repository as a logical data object. From there you can rapidly prototype new applications using these logical objects without worrying about the complexities of the underlying repositories. It can also do data cleansing on the fly.
- Webinar: Great Data by Design. https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/10477/104939
- PowerCenter 9.6 deep dive demo https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/10477/110535
Why This Matters for Architects
- The key challenge for IT and for Architects is to be able to deliver at the “speed of business.” These tools can dramatically improve the productivity of your team and speed the delivery of projects for your business “customers.”
Taking the time to understand what these tools can do in terms of increasing the productivity of your IT team and enabling your end users to self-service will make you a better business partner overall and increase your influence across the organization. Have a great year!