Scalable Enterprise Analytics: Informatica PowerCenter Data Quality and Oracle Exadata
In 2012, Forbes published an article predicting an upcoming problem.
The Need for Scalable Enterprise Analytics
Specifically, increased exploration in Big Data opportunities would place pressure on the typical corporate infrastructure. The generic hardware used to run most tech industry enterprise applications was not designed to handle real-time data processing. As a result, the explosion of mobile usages, and the proliferation of social networks, was increasing the strain on the system. Most companies now faced real-time processing requirements beyond what the traditional model was designed to handle.
In the past two years, the volume of data and speed of data growth has grown significantly. As a result, the problem has become more severe. It is now clear that these challenges can’t be overcome by simply doubling or tripling their IT spending on infrastructure sprawl. Today, enterprises seek consolidated solutions that offer scalability, performance and ease of administration. The present need is for scalable enterprise analytics.
A Clear Solution Is Available
Informatica PowerCenter and Data Quality is the market leading data integration and data quality platform. This platform has now been certified by Oracle as an optimal solution for both the Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle SuperCluster.
As the high-speed on-ramp for data into Oracle Exadata, PowerCenter and Data Quality deliver up-to five times faster performance on data load, query, profiling and cleansing tasks. Informatica’s data integration customers can now easily reuse data integration code, skills and resources to access and transform any data from any data source and load it into Exadata, with the highest throughput and scalability.
Customers adopting Oracle Exadata for high-volume, high-speed analytics can now be confident with Informatica PowerCenter and Data Quality. With these products, they can ingest, cleanse and transform all types of data into Exadata with the highest performance and scale required to maximize the value of their Exadata investment.
Proving the Value of Scalable Enterprise Analytics
In order to demonstrate the efficacy of their partnership, the two companies worked together on a Proof Of Value (POV) project. The goal is to prove that using PowerCenter with Exadata would improve both performance and scalability. The project involved PowerCenter and Data Quality 9.6.1 and x4-2 Exadata Machine. Oracle 11g was considered for both standard Oracle and Exadata versions.
The first test conducted a 1TB load test to Exadata and standard Oracle in a typical PowerCenter use case. The second test consisted of querying 1TB profiling warehouse database in Data Quality use case scenario. Performance data was collected for both tests. The scalability factor was also captured. A variant of the TPCH dataset was used to generate the test data. The results were significantly higher than prior Exabyte 1TB test. In particular:
- The data query tests achieved 5x performance.
- The data load tests achieved a 3x-5x speed increase.
- Linear scalability was achieved with read/write tests on Exadata.
What Business Benefits Could You Expect?
Informatica PowerCenter and Data Quality, along-with Oracle Exadata, now provide the best-of-breed combination of software and hardware, optimized to deliver the highest possible total system performance. These comprehensive tools drive agile reporting and analytics, while empowering IT organizations to meet SLAs and quality goals like never before.
- Extend Oracle Exadata’s access to even more business critical data sources. Utilize optimized out-of-the-box Informatica connectivity to easily access hundreds of data sources, including all the major databases, on-premise and cloud applications, mainframe, social data and Hadoop.
- Get more data, more quickly into Oracle Exadata. Move higher volumes of trusted data quickly into Exadata to support timely reporting with up-to-date information (i.e. up to 5x performance improvement compared to Oracle database).
- Centralize management and improve insight into large scale data warehouses. Deliver the necessary insights to stakeholders with intuitive data lineage and a collaborative business glossary. Contribute to high quality business analytics, in a timely manner across the enterprise.
- Instantly re-direct workloads and resources to Oracle Exadata without compromising performance. Leverage existing code and programming skills to execute high-performance data integration directly on Exadata by performing push down optimization.
- Roll-out data integration projects faster and more cost-effectively. Customers can now leverage thousands of Informatica certified developers to execute existing data integration and quality transformations directly on Oracle Exadata, without any additional coding.
- Efficiently scale-up and scale-out. Customers can now maximize performance and lower the costs of data integration and quality operations of any scale by performing Informatica workload and push down optimization on Oracle Exadata.
- Save significant costs involved in administration and expansion. Customers can now easily and economically manage large-scale analytics data warehousing environments with a single point of administration and control, and consolidate a multitude of servers on one rack.
- Reduce risk. Customers can now leverage Informatica’s data integration and quality platform to overcome the typical performance and scalability limitations seen in databases and data storage systems. This will help reduce quality-of-service risks as data volumes rise.
Oracle Exadata is a well-engineered system that offers customers out-of-box scalability and performance on demand. Informatica PowerCenter and Data Quality are optimized to run on Exadata, offering customers business benefits that speed up data integration and data quality tasks like never before. Informatica’s certified, optimized, and purpose-built solutions for Oracle can help you enable more timely and trustworthy reporting. You can now benefit from Informatica’s optimized solutions for Oracle Exadata to make better business decisions by unlocking the full potential of the most current and complete enterprise data available. As shown in our test results, you can attain up to 5x performance by scaling Exadata. Informatica Data Quality customers can perform profiling 1TB datasets, which is unheard before. We urge you to deploy the combined solution to solve your data integration and quality problems today while achieving high speed business analytics in these days of big data exploration and Internet Of Things.
Listen to what Ash Kulkarni, SVP, at OOW14 has to say on how @InformaticaCORP PowerCenter and Data Quality certified by Oracle as optimized for Exadata can deliver up-to five times faster performance improvement on data load, query, profiling, cleansing and mastering tasks, for Exadata.