With the rise in popularity of the elusive and expensive data scientist it’s very sad that once a data science team is assembled (at a very high recurring cost to the company I may add) that they spend most of their time doing work they weren’t really hired to do in the first place. That’s right! It turns out that data scientists spend only about 20% of their time doing real analysis – that is the work they were trained to do. How is the other 80% of their time spent? (more…)
LinkedIn’s security breach this summer exposed a massive 6.5 million user passwords and was yet another reminder of the blanket lack of protection over consumer data. The constant deluge of reports over personal data leakages has left 70% of EU citizens worried about the misuse of their personal data, according to the European Commission. That’s why the EU stepped in to look at strengthening the right to access, change or delete personal data. (more…)
Data privacy isn’t a topic that has strayed far from the news agenda. With 6.5 million LinkedIn passwords exposed and the European Commission calling for new laws to strength the right to access, change or delete personal data, you’d think the general population would be guarding their data even more firmly – especially as only 35 per cent of UK adults trust businesses to use their personal data as directed by them. Yet, research we released last month revealed a step change in consumer attitudes, with the emergence of a younger, more data-savvy, generation, who are intrigued by what their personal data can do for them.
35% of 18- to 34-year olds in the UK revealed that they are comfortable providing personal information to organisations to help them tailor future offers and communication. Further to that, almost one in ten (9%) of the younger generation (those aged 18 to 34) felt that the more personal information they provide a business with, the better the service they receive as a result. The fact is – big data can provide organisations with an unprecedented opportunity to improve customer experience through highly personalised and targeted communications. Amazon is a good example of this, doing the exact thing, using its big data to get customer love. (more…)
We all heard the news of Facebook’s $100 billion IPO a few weeks ago and according to some analysts Apple will be the first company with a trillion dollar market value courtesy of their iPhones and iPads. It is amazing the scale and speed with which technology is changing and how it is shaping the world. These changes and pace bring new challenges to IT organizations. IT organizations have to adjust to the new ways users interact and communicate and support decision-makers in organizations and governments by providing intelligence from the large amounts of business data that are being generated. (more…)
Posted in Big Data, Cloud Computing, Marketplace, Master Data Management
Tagged Facebook, Hadoop, IDC, iPad, iPhone, linkedin, McKinsey, PowerCenter
I read an interesting report in dmreview last week. Entitled “Survey Shows Chief Marketing Officers Haven’t ‘Friended’ Social Networking Sites” it analyses a report that suggests my peers are not too interested in social networking. I’m surprised by this, given the role social networking has in today’s society. That then had me thinking about our marketing strategy here at Informatica and the role of Facebook, and other online communities, in our activity.
Before talking about social networking, I thought I’d start by stating the obvious – the role of marketing here is to raise the awareness of Informatica within our target audience and to partner with the sales organization in executing programs to find opportunities for our technology and services. (more…)