IT application managers are constantly going through a process of integrating, modernizing and consolidating enterprise applications to keep them efficient and providing the maximum business value to the corporation for their cost.
But, it is important to remember that there is significant risk in these projects. An article in the Harvard Business Review states that 17% of enterprise application projects go seriously wrong; going over budget by 200% and over schedule by 70%. The HRB article refers to these projects as “black swans.”
How can you reduce this risk of project failure? Typically, 30% to 40% of an enterprise application project is data migration. A recent study by Bloor Research shows that while success rates for data migration projects are improving, 38% of them still miss their schedule and budget targets.
How can you improve the odds of success in data migration projects?
- Use data profiling tools to understand your data before you move it.
- Use data quality tools to correct data quality problems. There is absolutely no point in moving bad data around the organization – but it happens.
- Use a proven external methodology. In plain English, work with people who have “done it before”
- Develop your own internal competence. Nobody knows your data, and more importantly, the business context of your data than your own staff. Develop the skills and engage your business subject matter experts.
Informatica has industry-leading tools, a proven methodology, and a service delivery team with hundreds of successful data migration implementations.
To find out more about successful data migration:
- Informatica World: Visit us at the Hands On Lab – Data Migration.
- Informatica World: Informatica Presentation on Application Data Migration.
Application Data Migrations with Informatica Velocity Migration Methodology
Friday June 5, 2013 9:00 to 10:00
- Informatica World: Data Migration Factory Presentation by Accenture
Accelerating the Power of Data Migration
Tuesday June 4, 2013 2:00 to 3:00
- Bloor White Paper: Lower Your Risk with Application Data Migration: Next Steps With Informatica
- Informatica White Paper: De-Risk Your Application Go Lives
Some are looking to grow their use of metadata beyond an IT productivity project into something larger such as a data stewardship or data governance initiative. Some are just getting started. In either event, here are my top ten recommendations based on conversations with customers and some of the great presentations and panel discussions at Informatica World. (more…)
“I have taken risks in my life………but I always validate my data before updating my production systems. Stay employed my friends!”
I am hearing an increasing number of customers tell me that they either do not have time to do data validation or reconciliation testing on their nightly updates to production systems, or that they can only test a part of the data.
In the latter case, they have to “guess” which parts of the data have the most business risk and therefore deserve their testing time and resources. It doesn’t have to be this way. Informatica Data Validation can be used in production environments. The really good news is that data validation testing can be run at night from a command line script or in a workflow. The load of data into production systems can be made to be conditional on successfully passing all the tests. Customers can also build in automatic notification of the test results so that they know the status of their production systems.
The BBC published a news story where a teacher in India looked at his bank account expecting to see a balance of $200 only to find that the balance shown was $9.8 billion (480 billion rupees). Imagine that surprise!
These types of stories appear in the news on a regular basis, and the question they raise is this: How could an error of this magnitude have happened and what could have been done to prevent it? (more…)