Data migration projects are notorious for going over budget and over time. These large projects typically cost around $875,000 and an average of 30% of that is due to project overruns. In today’s fast-paced, big data era, organizations cannot afford these missteps. Unfortunately, many companies treat major data projects as one-off events. This approach leads to product launch delays, produces no re-usable assets or best practices, and presents an outsized risk to business objectives.
I look forward to sharing how the successful organizations we work with have combated these issues using Master Data Management (MDM) as a platform for systems consolidation, migration, and upgrade projects. MDM accomplishes the following:
- Creates authoritative, trustworthy data
- Simplifies migration architecture using a hub-and-spoke model
- Maintains data consistency across new and old systems post-migration
- Enables reuse of data, mappings, and rules for the next migration project
In summary, MDM allows organizations to minimize risk and increase the speed of data migration.
To address this topic, I will be hosting a webinar titled “MDM as Platform for Systems Consolidation, Migration and Upgrade” on March 19th at 2:00 PM Eastern. In this webinar, you will learn about:
- Challenges faced in systems consolidation, migration and upgrades
- Solutions MDM brings to address these challenges in pre-migration, during-migration, and post-migration phases
- Examples of companies using MDM to manage data migration as a repeatable process
- Tips for expanding the use of MDM beyond data migration for operational and analytical purposes
Join me to learn how MDM works in practice and to gain understanding of how it can help make your next systems consolidation, migration, or upgrade the most efficient and effective yet. Sign up today for the webinar on Wednesday, March 19, 2014.