Informatica announced yesterday the Informatica ILM Nearline product is SAP-certified. ILM Nearline helps IT organizations reduce costs of managing data growth in existing implementations of the SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (SAP NetWeaver BW) and SAP HANA. By doing so, customers can leverage freed budgets and resources to invest in its application landscape and data center modernization initiatives. Informatica ILM Nearline v6.1A for use with SAP NetWeaver BW and SAP HANA, available today, is purpose-built for SAP environments leveraging native SAP interfaces.
Data volumes are growing the fastest in data warehouse and reporting applications, yet a significant amount of it is rarely used or infrequently accessed. In deployments of SAP NetWeaver BW, standard SAP archiving can reduce the size of a production data warehouse database to help preserve its performance, but if users ever want to query or manipulate the archived data, the data needs to be loaded back into the production system disrupting data analytics processes and extending time to insight. The same holds true for SAP HANA.
To address this, ILM Nearline enables IT to migrate large volumes of largely inactive SAP NetWeaver BW or SAP HANA data from the production database or in memory store to online, secure, highly compressed, immutable files in a near-line system while maintaining end-user access. The result is a controlled environment running SAP NetWeaver BW or SAP HANA with predictable, ongoing hardware, software and maintenance costs. This helps ensure service-level agreements (SLAs) can be met while freeing up ongoing budget and resources so IT can focus on innovation.
Informatic ILM Nearline for use with SAP NetWeaver BW and SAP HANA has been certified with the following interfaces:
- NW-BW-NLS Nearline Storage SAP NetWeaver BW 7.30 on SAP HANA for Informatica Data Archive 6.1A
- NW-BW-NLS 7.30 – Nearline Storage – SAP NetWeaver BW 7.30 for Informatica Data Archive 6.1A
- BC-HCS 6.20 – HTTP Content Server 6.20 for Interface for Informatica Data Archive 6.1
“Informatica ILM Nearline for use with SAP NetWeaver BW and SAP HANA is all about reducing the costs of data while keeping the data easily accessible and thus valuable,” said Adam Wilson, general manager, ILM, Informatica. “As data volumes continue to soar, the solution is especially game-changing for organizations implementing SAP HANA as they can use the Informatica-enabled savings to help offset and control the costs of their SAP HANA licenses without disrupting the current SAP NetWeaver BW users’ access to the data.”
Specific advantages of Informatica ILM Nearline include:
- Industry-leading compression rates – Informatica ILM Nearline’s compression rates exceed standard database compression rates by a sizable margin. Customers typically achieve rates in excess of 90 percent, and some have reported rates as high as 98 percent.
- Easy administration and data access – No database administration is required for data archived by Informatica ILM Nearline. Data is accessible from the user’s standard SAP application screen without any IT interventions and is efficiently stored to simplify backup, restore and data replication processes.
- Limitless capacity – Highly scalable, the solution is designed to store limitless amounts of data without affecting data access performance.
- Easy storage tiering – As data is stored in a highly compressed format, the nearline archive can be easily migrated from one storage location to another in support of a tiered storage strategy.
Available now, Informatica ILM Nearline for use with SAP NetWeaver BW and SAP HANA is based on intellectual property acquired from Sand Technology in Q4 2011 and enhanced by Informatica.
 Informatica Survey Results, January 23, 2013 (citation from Enterprise Data Archive for Hybrid IT Webinar)