Informatica was named as a leader in the 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Masking. A couple of weeks ago, Infosecurity named Informatica as a finalist for Best Security Software for 2013.
Both the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Masking and Infosecurity Products Guide recognized Informatica for continued innovation:
- Gartner states, “The data masking portfolio has been broadening. In addition to SDM technology… the market is beginning to offer dynamic data masking (DDM)… ”
- Infosecurity Products Guide selected Informatica as a finalist for Best Security Software for its new cloud data masking offering.
Why is this innovation important and what are companies looking for?
In terms of Dynamic Data Masking,
- Some existing solutions will identify where breaches could occur but do not prevent them. The customers Informatica has worked with want to PREVENT breaches from occurring, not just identify them. It’s more important now for many organizations to protect data from the inside—out.
- Informatica’s experience has been that organizations are looking for the most comprehensive support for databases (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Informix, Sybase, and Teradata) and applications.
- In addition, organizations want to accelerate deployments with a comprehensive set of best practices and pre-built rules for SAP, Siebel, PeopleSoft, Business Objects, Microstrategy and Cognos.
In terms of Cloud Data Masking,
- As organizations continue to deploy cloud based solutions, they are looking for data security across their environments. They need to have a fully integrated solution for SaaS/cloud application test environments that incorporates data masking, data discovery, data synchronization, and audit.
- These organizations are looking for a solution addresses the full lifecycle of data privacy for SaaS and cloud applications, including:
- Defining and classifying sensitive data
- Discovering where sensitive data lives across applications and databases
- Applying consistent data masking rules
- Providing automated compliance reports
In speaking to customers, both for data masking in on premise as well as cloud environments, they are looking for the following capabilities are critical for success, in addition to the continued investment in innovation:
- Define once, deploy anywhere
- Other vendors require that you create the same masking rule over and over again for each project, table, and column, including semi-structured or unstructured data masking. Organizations are looking for the ability to assign a rule to multiple fields, greatly reducing the time it takes to create masking rules.
- Companies have heterogeneous environments with many different databases and applications. They are looking for a product that was designed to support each unique user and makes it easy to create simple to complex rules.
- In order to support these types of environments, companies are looking for comprehensive connectivity and a scalable, high performance, high-throughput, market leading engine.
- Accelerate deployments
- Many organizations have inquired about pre-built rules for PHI, PII and PCI. In addition, they are looking for integrated industry accelerators for masking (e.g. parsing unstructured or semi-structured files/messages and then masking in a single, centrally managed flow). Informatica has pre-built masking packs for the regulations and integrated industry accelerators.
- Automate compliance reporting
- In speaking to Compliance IT across industries, one thing is consistent. Compliance IT wants to proof that the data has been protected in various database and applications. And many want this proof on a regular basis.
For more information, see the 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Masking and the Infosecurity Product Guide’s Finalists for 2013
About the Magic Quadrant
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose