In 2006, Informatica announced a strategic roadmap for cloud data integration, which outlined three phases:
This week we announced Informatica Cloud Spring 2012, which is primarily focused on phase three – evolving to an integration platform as a service.
Here’s how we described our cloud integration platform plans in 2006:
“Informatica will deliver a comprehensive, multi-tenant, hosted data integration platform designed to meet the needs of a wide variety of SaaS, BPO and ITO service providers. Built on Web 2.0 infrastructure, users will be able to integrate data across multiple outsourcing service providers and on-premise applications without installing any software.”
Here’s how we describe the cloud integration platform as a service in 2012:
“Informatica Cloud Spring 2012 introduces the new Informatica Cloud Developer Edition, which brings together a cloud connector toolkit and dynamic cloud integration templates enabling developers to rapidly embed end-user customizable integration logic and connectivity into cloud applications using Informatica Cloud.”
- The Cloud Connectivity Toolkit enables our SI and ISV partners to build, customize and deliver native connectivity to any cloud or on-premise business and social applications that have published Web Services APIs. Developers have access to a Java-based API to quickly create high-performance connectors that run as sources or targets within Informatica Cloud. Developers can also make their connectors available on the Informatica Marketplace.
- Cloud Integration Templates allow developers and ISV partners to select any connectors as endpoints and design custom data workflows between those applications using a graphical user-interface. Developers can also leverage pre-defined, integration templates for specific industries and processes and customize them further through a RESTful API. The REST API can also be used to embed these templates natively into a cloud solution, thereby abstracting away all integration complexity to the end user.
On April 21, all Informatica Cloud customers were upgraded to the latest release and these new integration platform as a service capabilities are currently available through an early access program. Here’s what some of our partners have to say about the announcement:
- Astadia: “Informatica Cloud Integration Platform-as-a-Service, specifically the new Informatica Cloud Developer Edition, enables Astadia to effectively respond to an even broader set of clients’ enterprise-class business needs with the flexibility and agility of the Cloud.”
- Newmarket International: “Informatica has proven to be a strong partner, and their continuous innovation in the cloud integration space, development of new connectivity options and solution packaging capabilities is an important factor in our success.”
- Silverline:“Informatica’s unique cloud Integration Platform-as-a-Service approach, and specifically the new Informatica Cloud Developer Edition, will enable us to more effectively meet our clients’ connectivity requirements and help us expand our customer base.”
- TargetX: “The latest release streamlines our whole process, making it simple to on-board new customers and upgrade existing ones. It’s helping us deliver on the promise of what’s possible with data integration in the cloud.”
- Xactly: “Xactly is already working with the new Cloud Integration Templates to help power pre-built connectivity for Xactly Express to any online solution. Having robust data integration capabilities embedded in our platform is essential for our customers to easily connect to the cloud. With Informatica Cloud as part of Express, we provide fast time to value.”
We’ll be showcasing our new integration platform as a service features as well as other enterprise-class capabilities (including PowerCenter interoperability, delegated administration, fine-grained access controls and more) at Informatica World 2012. We’ll also be announcing the winner of our annual cloud computing innovation award at the conference. I hope to see you there.