6 Steps to Petabyte-Scale Cloud Data Warehousing with Amazon Redshift and Informatica Cloud
Getting started with Cloud Data Warehousing using Amazon Redshift is now easier than ever, thanks to the Informatica Cloud’s 60-day trial for Amazon Redshift. Now, anyone can easily and quickly move data from any on-premise, cloud, Big Data, or relational data sources into Amazon Redshift without writing a single line of code and without being a data integration expert. You can use Informatica Cloud’s six-step wizard to quickly replicate your data or use the productivity-enhancing cloud integration designer to tackle more advanced use cases, such as combining multiple data sources into one Amazon Redshift table. Existing Informatica PowerCenter users can use Informatica Cloud and Amazon Redshift to extend an existing data warehouse with through an affordable and scalable approach. If you are currently exploring self-service business intelligence solutions such as Birst, Tableau, or Microstrategy, the combination of Redshift and Informatica Cloud makes it incredibly easy to prepare the data for analytics by any BI solution.
To get started, execute the following steps:
- Go to http://informaticacloud.com/cloud-trial-for-redshift and click on the ‘Sign Up Now’ link
- You’ll be taken to the Informatica Marketplace listing for the Amazon Redshift trial. Sign up for a Marketplace account if you don’t already have one, and then click on the ‘Start Free Trial Now’ button
- You’ll then be prompted to login with your Informatica Cloud account. If you do not have an Informatica Cloud username and password, register one by clicking the appropriate link and fill in the required details
- Once you finish registration and obtain your login details, download the Vibe ™ Secure Agent to your Amazon EC2 virtual machine (or to a local Windows or Linux instance), and ensure that it can access your Amazon S3 bucket and Amazon Redshift cluster.
- Ensure that your S3 bucket, and Redshift cluster are both in the same availability zone
- To start using the Informatica Cloud connector for Amazon Redshift, create a connection to your Amazon Redshift nodes by providing your AWS Access Key ID and Secret Access Key, specifying your cluster details, and obtaining your JDBC URL string.
You are now ready to begin moving data to and from Amazon Redshift by creating your first Data Synchronization task (available under Applications). Pick a source, pick your Redshift target, map the fields, and you’re done!
The value of using Informatica Cloud to load data into Amazon Redshift is the ability of the application to move massive amounts of data in parallel. The Informatica engine optimizes by moving processing close to where the data is using push-down technology. Unlike other data integration solutions for Redshift that perform batch processing using an XML engine which is inherently slow when processing large data volumes and don’t have multitenant architectures that scale well, Informatica Cloud processes over 2 billion transactions every day.
Amazon Redshift has brought agility, scalability, and affordability to petabyte-scale data warehousing, and Informatica Cloud has made it easy to transfer all your structured and unstructured data into Redshift so you can focus on getting data insights today, not weeks from now.